Happy Monday!! Hope everyone has a great week- here is a recipe for challah that I made yesterday ☺️ the most delicious and pretty bread ( each slice looks like a little cloud ☁️) perfect for everything: sandwiches, toast, on its own, dunked in soup 🥖🥖
VEGAN VERSION IN HIGHLIGHTS / STORY
Hope you enjoy!
* 750 g strong bread flour
* 10 g fast-action dried yeast
* 50 g caster sugar
* 2 large eggs
* olive oil
1. Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl with pinch of salt, combine then make a well in the centre.
2. Beat eggs separately. Pour in 1½ tbsp of oil and 350ml water into well and add most of the beaten egg (saving a little for egg washing later). Mix, then bring together with your hands to form a ball.
3. On a dusted surface, knead dough for 10 mins until smooth and springy. Don’t add too much flour here to stop dough drying out.
4. Place in oiled bowl, cover with damp tea towel and leave to rise until doubled in size (1hr)
5. Separate dough in to two to form each loaf.
6. Braid one loaf of dough by cutting it into 3-6 sections. Roll each section into equal long thin sausage shapes. pinch together each shape at the top and bring the outside strands over the others into the middle.
7. Continue this process until you have used up the dough. tuck the ends under the loaf . Place on a lined baking tray.
8. Repeat the braiding technique with your second ball of dough.
9. Cover both loaves loosely with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for another 30 mins. Preheat your oven to 180°C
10. Egg wash loaves and bake for 40 mins/ until golden.